February 24, 2016:

It’s been a few days since I’ve written anything on the mini house construction. I have done some work on the house. I got the foyer window drawn. Then last night, I cut out the foyer window. It was a severe pain in the butt, because again I am cutting after that wall is installed in the house. So I am cutting on the vertical, and it is very hard to clamp a jig at both ends before jigsawing the opening. I can’t figure out why I had such a hard time determining the placement of the jig. I’d set the measurement using the Kreg jig and sometimes it would work and sometimes it would be slightly off. VERY frustrating. I finally got a measurement of the distance between the side of the jigsaw guide and the blade location, which is 1 and 7/16ths inches.

Here’s an updated photo of the house:

IMG_3695

You can see the foyer window at  left, the single lower floor wall, and both upper floor interior walls.

I then installed the only remaining interior wall. Fortunately, I could cut the door opening before installing the wall, and I could just use my homemade cutting jig for the long cuts on the wall itself, done with the circular saw, and could use the Kreg sawing jig for the door cuts using the jigsaw. Worked out fine.

I had to install the wall using pocket holes because I could not fit my drill under the wall/floor joint in order to just screw through the floor into the bottom of the wall. So pocket holes at that joint — and screws where it meets the back wall of the house. It’s DONE!

I also made size and positioning final decisions about, and drew in the bedroom windows. Also I drilled starter holes for my jigsaw. Haven’t cut them yet. That’s next.

I’m not super impressed with the new Kreg sawing jig, but it has been useful. So far I’m more impressed with my Ana White homemade circular sawing jig. I think that I can make my own jigsaw jig using her basic concept with some modifications, but I’ll have to think about the design and make some prototypes.

Yes the process of building this mini house, though quite frustrating at times, has been a very good learning experience. I am sure I will be able to put some of this learning to use in future, on other projects.

After the bedroom windows are done, I am going to have to tackle the stairs and the shower in the bathroom before I can put the roof on the house or electrify it. The reason for this is that the opening on the roof has to align with the stairs, and I’d really prefer to cut it before I install the roof. Also, the ultimate design of the shower will impact the style, size and location of the bathroom window at the rear of the house.

I will have to eventually purchase more plywood for the front of the house. But this is not going to be permanently installed, and probably will be fastened to the front of the house by metal “pins” that are dropped into holes drilled vertically into the tops of the wall, which go through the roof and into the wall. These are lifted up to remove the roof and pushed back into the holes when the front of the house is fitted on.

The fastenings at the bottom of the front of the house will probably be simple small angle brackets with a hole through which a pin can be pushed into a hole in the front wall, holding it in place. We’ll see…