February 13, 2016:

Day before Valentine’s Day! Saturday – so I had some hours to devote to building my dollhouse. It does take a long time for me to do things because I am learning. I had to spend time to figure out how to get my jig for my jigsaw set up in a tight situation where I could not easily clamp it (I ended up clamping one end and temporarily screwing down the other end through the jig and into the side of the house). Boy was I glad I had just ordered and received a nice clamp set. My two Kreg jig clamps alone wouldn’t have cut the mustard.

All of this took time. And so what I got done was limited to:

Cutting the door opening in the ground floor wall (nice and straight this time due to the jig);

Cutting back the half floor in the two story foyer to the right position;

Screwing the ground floor wall into place;

Cutting the door opening in the foyer/bathroom common wall on the second floor;

Drilling pocket holes in the second floor common wall with my kreg jig;

Installing the second floor wall;

And then, the most trying part:

Straightening up the wonky window openings I had previously cut with my jigsaw before I figured out how to make a jig for it. This last took quite a while and was hard on my old hands and arms. It was quite a challenge as I was working on the vertical; setting the jig at the correct distance was not always smooth and required a lot of clamping and unclamping and adjusting. Further, I could not clamp the jig on both ends for a number of the cuts due to the walls, ceiling or floor being in the way (and the clamp types I have are limited). I had to screw my jig into the wood adjacent to the window openings in a couple of places. Also, I hadn’t quite understood how to adjust my Kreg clamps and ended up using too much muscle to close them, so my hands and arms got pretty tired before I figured it out.

But I got all four openings corrected, and now they don’t look like fun house mirrors (okay, a little bit of an exaggeration). They are nice and straight. I’m excited to be able to use the Plexiglas and trim pieces to install the windows, but that will have to wait a bit yet.

Here are the improved window openings. Perfection not required as I can use some wood putty where needed as the walls adjacent to the windos will be covered:

IMG_3686

I have a long list of the next steps I’ll be taking, and they don’t involve window fabrication and installation!

I’m really enjoying this! As I explained to my husband, the point for me isn’t even so much having the dollhouse (though that will be really fun); the point is more the process of creating it.

I suspect I will eventually have to sell it because I’ll want to make more houses. And I only have room for one at a time. Having considered the time I’ve spent making the house so far, however, I am under no illusion that making and selling dollhouses could ever be a profitable business, LOL! But fortunately, that doesn’t matter. I have a job right now, for which I am very grateful, so this is my hobby, or, if you prefer, another form of art (since I do oil painting also). But if I decide to do this continually over time, it would be nice to rehome the dollhouses so that I can create more of them. Selling them would mean recovering some of the $ it cost to build and using that to work on the next house, and so on and so forth. Somewhat self perpetuating.

But if I can’t sell it, then I will recycle it. By which I mean I will literally redesign it. Hey, it’s screwed together—I can even unscrew parts of it and replace them with different parts. No glue — so it is just demo the siding, remove the wall(s) and replace the wall(s), and start anew.

It’s late, bedtime for me. Lots of stuff to do tomorrow but Monday is a holiday (yay!) and I will probably work on the house again.