March 11, 2017

Well I’m gearing up for a visit from my daughter and grandson. Can’t wait until they are here!

Meanwhile, working on the dollhouse. I’ve finished the fridge. Here it is:

I’m not sure how much I like the handles. Might change them out. I’ll think about it for a few days.

I’m still working on the stove. Still spray painting pieces, then will be ready to put it together and put the knobs on. So no picture for that yet, except that you can see it in this photo of the back wall of the kitchen:

These look a bit funny right now, because the uppers are sitting on top of the lowers, the over-fridge cabinet is sitting on top of the fridge, and there are no cabinet “doors” installed yet, just the flat fronts of the cabinets. Worse yet, there are post it notes on two of the cabinets so that I don’t mix them up with the other cabinets. But hey, it’s progress!

I’ve dry fitted the frameless “glass” shower walls, and you can see them here:

I might have a picture of a nearly completed stove tomorrow, but I will be busy child-proofing the house and will try to work on my oil painting tomorrow as well.

March 9, 2017:

It’s been a long time since I’ve done a blog post, but I have been pretty busy. The kitchen cabinetry has been quite time consuming, and I’ve made a number of small mistakes that put me behind. I’ve also got a limited amount of time I can use to work on my dollhouse. We’ve had a very sick kitty and so what time I’ve had this week has been spent visiting him in the hospital. All in all, there have been periods of activity and periods of no dollhouse fun at all.

I also have a limited number of mini clamps so I can only glue and hold a certain number of pieces at a time. This limits how much I can do at one time.

I’ve bounced around a few times between the different pieces I am working on. I’ve been working on kitchen cabinetry, the shower floor, and the kitchen stove.

Here’s the pebble floor of the shower:

I had a little trouble with the floor. I didn’t want to use the white gravel, but after I had tried pressing stones into the grout and having it look horrible, I was just too tired to pick out all the white stones. Although I don’t love it, I can live with it. And I can always change it out if I decide to.

And here are the pieces of the stove, getting their first coat of “stainless steel” paint:

Below is the stove grate which will be painted black very soon:

And here are various cabinet boxes under construction, as well as the nearly finished refrigerator:

I had ordered a roll of aluminum which is thicker than heavy duty aluminum foil, but still pretty thin. I’m going to use it to clad the part of the island cabinet box which will be the dishwasher front. I also experimented with making the fridge handles, and I kinda like the look. The aluminum is too thin to use by itself so I have spray-painted some strips of 1/32 x 3/32 basswood to provide some “lift” of the handles from the fridge surface, and I think this is going to work just fine. Once the handles are on, the fridge is DONE!

I have also spent some time working on my painting. It’s not going as well as I’d like, but I am improving in my ability to paint trees. Working on grasses as well. I want to be able to produce a good landscape oil painting.